Monday, November 1, 2010

Masquerade: A Night in Disguise


Asos cage dress, F21 jacket

Masquerade themed parties have been around for centuries and are loved for their mystery, intrigue, and fun. When a friend wanted to celebrate her birthday with a masquerade themed bash on Halloween weekend, I was filled with excitement and knew just the dress to wear for the occasion. Besides, I would never turn down an opportunity to don a fancy mask!

ASOS first launched its capsule ASOS Black collection sometime last year. I was impressed by the range of quality creations, but one fabulous little organza cage dress really caught my eye. This glamorous burgundy/magenta number is anything but typical. A strapless corset with a structured sheer crini skirt over the bodycon dress, it screams oh-la-la french chic! Although there was no French chateau, or romantic reveal of his disguise, there were cupcakes, dancing, and delicious sparkling beverages. J and I enjoyed our night. I hope you too had a great Halloween weekend!






The Makeup bag
My fellow Vancouver blogger The Savvy Frugalista made a great suggestion that I should share some beauty tips.  While I need to find time to do a proper tutorial video, here's a snapshot of some everyday favorites in my makeup routine.




Face
- Make Up For Ever HD Foundation
- Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder
- Chanel Tissages Tweed Blush Duo

I used to be a MAC junkie when it came to foundation, and it was because I didn't know there were better options.  As soon as I tried Make Up For Ever's HD liquid foundation, I was hooked. It's oil-free and has medium to full coverage. Combined with the microfinish power, it creates a matte and even complexion.  The Chanel blush gives you a natural, healthy glow without being too harsh and is by far my favorite blush (can you tell?).

Eyes/Brows
- Dior 5-Colour Eyeshadow in 440 Sunset Café
- Lancôme Hypnôse Drama Mascara
- Bobby Brown Long-wear Gel Eyeliner
- Sephora Brow Tint in Medium

Growing up, I didn't find western magazines too helpful when it came to makeup how-to's because asian features are so different that I couldn't do the typical smokey-eye meant for people with deep-set eyes.  Learning by trial and error, I typically did a light version of a smokey eye using a range of neutral colors (Dior shadow in 440 is a good one).  As for eyelashes, I've been raving about how the Lancôme Hypnôse Drama mascara darkens and lengthens. The Sephora brow tint is my cure to sparse eyebrows.  It's not heavy or cakey, and just glides on perfectly to fill in the spaces.

TWITTER
FACEBOOK
BLOGLOVIN

41 comments:

Style Worthwhile said...

Love the mask!! And Cute outfit. Glad you had a good halloween :)

-Jacquelyn
www.styleworthwhile.blogspot.com

Jess ♡ said...

Well you've almost hit pan on that Chanel blush haven't you m'dear? ;) YOU REALLY NEED TO DO A POST ON SMOKEY EYE MAKEUP FOR ASIANS. I struggle with any form of makeup and finally caved in and got myself a palette that's for smokey eye makeup, I can't figure it out. I just can't do it. Your makeup looks fantastic though! TEACHTEACHTEACH :) I lovelovelove that mask, it's got so many lovely details (music notes!). I love that dress as well, ooh lala indeed <3

kileen said...

The mask is simply amazing and I love the organza material of that dress!! So glad you had a good Halloween!!

Kileen
cuteandlittle.com

faye lu review said...

great post. gorgeous organza cage dress - beautiful berry-magenta color. can't wait to see more make-up related post. i love lancome hypnose - 2nd favourite mascara after chanel's innimitable (very noir). thanks for sharing xo

Sweet Confessions said...

love the mask and the dress is incredible!!!!



http://sweetlittleconfessions.blogspot.com/

DiamondsandTulle said...

What a FANTASTIC Masquerede outfit! I've always wanted to throw a masqueade ball party! You'd be the best-dressed guest!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

Rose said...

Make up increase more beauty of women. So the are looking more pretty and attractive. Everybody want to meet a beautiful women in the party.

==================
Kandy Masquerade

Abbie♥ said...

that's a really cute mask!♥♥♥

http://abbiespurpleroom.blogspot.com/

chellemorgan said...

I'm in love with the cage dress! What a gorgeous colour. You look amazing, as always! & the mask is a perfect fit - I love the idea of a masquerade party!

Xo Chelle
discoveringelegance.com

Emilie said...

You look fab!

tessatham said...

Wow I love this dress! Totally deserves a photoshoot on it's own haha! The colour is beautiful, and so are you :)

PetiteLittleGirl said...

I am glad you had a great time. What an adorable outfit for Halloween!

daisychain said...

Your dress is incredible!

Lea's Suitcase said...

I love homemade costumes and where i'm at they don't celebrate Halloween here... so i love looking at them via internets. The best part about yours, you can wear it all over again as separates or together :)

Banhannas said...

What a fabulous idea using a costume that didn't come out of an overpriced costume bag set! Love the caged skirt...so fierce! Cute lipstick too!

lisa said...

The mask! The cage dress! All these complementary purple hues in one outfit! And is that a lavender lipcolour I spy? What shade is it??

I think you should definitely do a makeup tutorial. Every time I see you, you have such perfect eye makeup--it's subtly smokey and well-blended and perfectly suited to Asian eyes.

InsideOut Elle said...

wooww :D the mask and dress is so pretty! I love the rich wine color and how it contrasts with the gold on your mask...gorgeous!

Cee said...

The dress is fabulous for a masquerade party! I'm glad you included a close-up pic of the mask, it's absolutely gorgeous. So, so elaborate and pretty!

devilishlypleasurable said...

gorgeous mask! i also find western-based tutorials for smokey eyes difficult. . in the end it's always best to experiment to know what works best for one :)

Faboulista said...

wow carolina... i love this look. its very glamourous and chic. and the mask is fantastic. what a wonderful piece to have.
xoxo
mina

sharonlei said...

You look fab Carolina. The mask is gorgeous and that dress is fabulous as well. I remember it from your sneak peek into your closet post. :) Looks like you had a very fashionable Halloweekend!!

xx Love & Aloha

Faboulista said...

oh thank you carolina. i will add u 2. we should 4 sure keep in touch.
xoxo
mina

The Savvy Frugalista said...

Yay! Love this post. I needed some make-up help. I'll head out sometime this week to buy the MUFE foundation. I heard really good stuff about it. I'm currently using MAC and it makes my skin SO bad. Worst of all, the coverage is HORRIBLE.

So true when you say Western magazines don't help when it comes to doing smoky eyes for Asains. I have no double fold so it's terrible when trying to put make up on. That's why I wanted you to do a tutorial :) I love the way you did your eyes. I'm looking forward to it!

Lianna
www.thesavvyfrugalista.com

Cupcake said...

Vogue Paris made masks soooo cool! Beautiful post.
cupcake
www.fashion-tarts.blogspot.com

Nelah said...

Gorgeous dress and mask!! You look fantastic in that dress. I would love to attend fancy party more often, it would be so much fun.

Just found your blog and really like your style and beautiful photos.

Glamour Bbey. said...

Awesome! Love your mask xx

Jennifer said...

this dress = AMAZING! Perfect for a masquerade ball! i LOVE IT!

VersaStyle said...

nice find on the dress.. its so perfectly rad!

hope everything is going well!

xo
~a

www.theversastyle.blogspot.com

Meera said...

Looks amazing! Love that mask!
Please check out/follow my blog. Yours is too cute.

xx
Meera

Alina A. said...

gorgeous dress and mask.xx

http://provocativecouture.blogspot.com/

ClosetCravings said...

I L-O-V-E the organza cage dress on you. So perfect for a masquerade party. How fun! =)

Win $100 Shopbop Gift Card

Jodi said...

Gorgeous mask.. love the colors!!

5 more days to enter....BETHANY JANE DESIGNS EARRING GIVEAWAY

cheers, Jodi

Aubrey and Melissa said...

that dress is incredible! i am so jealous you got to go to a masquerade, adorable outfit. <3

LyddieGal said...

That dress is oh so chic, and styled perfectly for the event! I love your mask, it is a perfect blend of old world elegance.

Chic on the Cheap

nicole said...

Wow that dress is Amazing and you look Gorgeous!! I love the cage skirt and the fitted corset - and the colour is simply stunning! I love masquerade-themed parties and it sounds like you had fun at the one you went to!

The red-orange lipstick I wear is Kat Von D "Stiletto" and you can buy it at Sephora. I lovelovelove it! It took me forever to find the right colour and so glad that I finally did!

Hope you're having a good weekend dear xo

www.lemodedujour.com

herwaisechoice said...

Carolina, you're such a chic girl! This costume is such a welcome and sophisticated change to the ones usually seen! That cage dress is amazing and your make up is always perfect.

Hope you're having a great weekend!
Jen

We love the sweet life said...

Wow you are beautiful! I love the mask :D

The Anthology said...

I've always thought there would be nothing more fun than a masquerade.

Love it!

*Kelsey

The Backseat Stylers said...

That dress is BEYOND! Absolutely love the dress, and the fact that you're so willing to take risks with your outfits. I need to work on that a little.

Btw, I juuust recently discovered MUFE and am blown away by the line. Wish I'd discovered it sooner!

loveSuteki. said...

extremely cute girl.

Rose said...

I always feel glad in Kandy Masquerade Party. There will be Playboy Playmates, Kandy Body Painted Models, and a huge assortment of attractive, fun loving, hand-picked women.

====================
Kandy Masquerade Party

Post a Comment